Pembridge straddles the A44 as it heads for the Welsh border and is located just south of the river Arrow mid way between Leominster and Kington.
Describing itself as ‘the jewel in the crown’ of the black and white village trail, Pembridge has a history stretching back at least eight hundred years and is notable for it’s many fine timber framed buildings. As a result, Sheffield University conducted a dendrochronological survey in 2003 that found it to be one of the finest preserved villages in England.
The detached bell tower dates from 1208, with a large number of buildings being accurately dated between 1424 and 1681.
Pembridge gained a Royal charter in 1239 allowing it to hold a market and two fairs. During the Middle Ages, the cowslip fair (held every May) and the woodcock fair (held in November) were important places for agricultural labourers across the county to seek work from landowners.
The church is 14th century and still retains the prayers painted on the walls hundreds of years ago. The stained glass windows and Jacobean pulpit are particularly fine. There is also a 14th century stone chest tomb with carved effigies on top.
The market hall (early 16th century), one of the finest in the country, has recently undergone a major restoration. It stands in front of the ‘New Inn’ a glorious 16th century pub. The village shop and tea room has been in existence since 1771 and has exquisite carved barge boards.
Pembridge abounds with history, wonderful medieval buildings, great walks and places to eat. Make sure it’s top of your list !